Okay, the moment you all have been waiting for…#OTSPSecretSister sign-ups for round 3 are here! YAY!
Let’s first get some housekeeping things out of the way…
BEFORE scrolling down to the questions, and BEFORE signing up to be a part of this project please THOROUGHLY read our FAQ and Rules post. Just to cover all of our bases let me reiterate a few things, but please keep in mind that this is just a basic glossing over of these rules, we go more in detail and clarify everything in the main post that we are asking you to reference.
First, please remember that this is a commitment. By signing up to be a secret sister you are promising to send at least one small card AND/OR gift to your secret sister a month depending on the “monetary group” you sign up for. IN ADDITION to this, you are also asked to send letters and or/postcards to foster positive communication. Many people asked for their to be an emphasis on the pen pal aspects of this project and we have been working hard to remind everyone that it’s not about the gifts, and this seems like the perfect way to do so. It is very important that you don’t sign up for this unless you are willing to follow through. Please think of how sad (and unfair) it would be for someone to be working hard to make their secret sister feel special and not receive anything themselves!
Last thing, sign-ups run from July 12 – midnight on July 25!
- You must “know” one of the hosts in order to join!
- You must be 18 or older to participate in The Secret Sister Project
- You must actively use the hashtag #OTSPSecretSister during your time participating in The Secret Sister Project.
- If we have to reach out to you more than twice to ask if you why your sister hasn’t yet received anything then you will be asked to cease in participating.
- If we contact you and ask if you sent something to your sister and you say yes but are unable to provide tracking for the package then you will be asked to cease in participating.
- If you have not received anything by the end of the month then YOU must contact US.
- If for any reason you find that you have to drop out of this project, please email us immediately.
- You will be asked to provide the name and contact info (Twitter and/or email address) of a “buddy” close to you who will be willing to answer questions put forth by your sister. *Stop stressing out about this. This person will be available to ask you questions from your sister, or let you know to check your mail. It is not necessary for this person to know you inside and out, just that they have the ability to be contacted, and to contact you when your sister has a question. Additionally, do not bog this person down with incessant questions, use your best judgement when possible and get creative!
- Below, you will be asked to provide a Goodreads (or Amazon) wish list with 20 or more books including newer and older titles that is specific to The Secret Sister Project, start working on this now!
- You must answer ALL of the questions put forth in the sign-up email as well as be detailed and thorough. We will absolutely be sending emails back to you that we deem “incomplete.”
- Keep in mind that this round will have more emphasis on the pen pal aspect. Meaning that if you have signed up for one of the higher price ranges, you should still send a letter here or there to your sister.
- Do not tweet or use the hashtag to ask for specific and/or luxurious items.
- Do not tweet negativity while using the hashtag.
I cannot say this enough times, read and re-read our FAQ and Rules post. If you do not abide by the rules, you will no longer be allowed to participate.
Okay, now we can move on to the fun stuff!
So how do I sign up?
It’s easy! Just answer every question in the questionnaire below and email it over to email@example.com by midnight on July 25! Please remember to thoroughly answer each and every question, and keep in mind that there is no such thing as saying “too much!” We will send back any unfinished questionnaires, so be as thorough and detailed as you can! If you need some help filling this out, head back over to the FAQ and Rules post and check out the example we provided!
If you are an international participant, please email us PRIOR to filling out this questionnaire as we will first have to see if there is enough interest. You will then receive an email from us letting you know if you should go forward with filling out the questionnaire.
Is the above address a residence/PO Box/Condo/place of employment: (*As in, will your mail get to you when the tracking says delivered, or will you need to wait to get to the mailbox/mailroom?)
Did you participate in one of the prior rounds of the Secret Sister Project? If yes, which round?
How much are you willing to contribute to the project monthly? Choose one (NOTE: this is just a range, you can of course go over the limit but please keep the pen pal aspect in mind, and please remember that is about cheer and not just gifts.)
- $5-$10: (Send a heartfelt letter to catch your sister up on how things are going that month and then send an e-book, paperback straight from Amazon (thank you Prime shipping!), baked goods, homemade bookmark or other DIY project, or how about a movie night box with a DVD (thanks to the $5 bin at Walmart) and some candy for a movie night!)
- $15-$20 (Any of the possibilities listed above and perhaps a newer hardcover from your sister’s wish-list, some fun socks, fandom tshirt, themed box, get creative!!)
- $25+ (The sky’s the limit here, we just ask that you remember to reign it in a bit and remember the goal of this project is for cheer, and joy and forging positive relationships, not excessive gifts. Send those heartfelt letters!!)
Would you prefer it if your sister was located in a closer region to yours? (NOTE: This will NOT guarantee that you will be matched with someone close in region, but if you do prefer it, we will do our best to do so.)
Your OTSPSecretSister “buddy’s” Twitter or email: (*This person will be available to ask you questions put forth by your sister, or let you know to check your mail. It is not necessary for this person to know you inside and out, just that they have the ability to be contacted, and to contact you when your sister has a question. Do NOT bog this person down with incessant questions, use your best judgement when possible and get creative!)
Goodreads Profile (*so that they can access your wishlists! Make sure to turn off the privacy setting & try and keep it updated!):
Goodreads/Amazon bookish wishlist: (*must have at least 20 titles of older and newer titles, please try not to purchase any books off of this wishlist and if you do please let your sister know via your buddy or one of us. If you do not want to share a wishlist by making it public, you may list the books here instead.)
“Other” wishlist: (*Keep these within reason for prices, etc! Please do not include pricey things, this is more for places like Etsy or for cheap DVDs on Amazon, and so on!)
Important Dates to Remember (*This can be anything and everything! Your birthday, the day you are expecting your baby, the day you are leaving for your next vacation, your anniversary with your partner, a big test you have coming up, the first day at your new job, the anniversary of the day you quit smoking, even a sad anniversary that you would like to be cheered up on!):
Your Likes (*Give us an array of things here! Types of snacks, TV shows, movies, bands/types of music, art):
Your Dislikes (*Example: chocolate covered cherries, anything cinnamon flavored, the color brown):
Do you have a favorite store?:
Are you okay receiving a gift card? If so, to where?
Would you be comfortable receiving baked goods of some kind?
What Do You Splurge On?:
Favorite (or least favorite) smells: (*for things such as candles, soaps, bath bombs/bubbles, perfumes)
Do You Collect Anything?:
Do You Drink Coffee, Tea, Hot Chocolate?:
Do You Have an E-reader?:
Would you be okay being gifted an ebook? If so, please provide the email associated with your e-reader:
List some of your favorite genres or authors:
Are there any authors or genres that you won’t read?
Favorite Disney movie and/or princess:
Any magazine that you wish you had a subscription to?
Anything else we should know about you? (*Be thorough here! There is no such thing as “saying too much,” the more your “secret sister” knows, the easier it is to spoil you!)
As always, please remember that you can always reach out to myself (@withthebanned, Amy (@trippingbooks), or Brittany (@bookaddictguide) for any inquiries or issues, that is what we are here for! Use the #OTSPSecretSister hashtag to talk with us and your fellow sisters! Thank you for helping us continue to spread positivity and cheer throughout our little community!
Thank you so much again for doing this Alyssa, Brittany and Amy. You girls rock!
I AM SO EXCITED. I’m so happy I can participate in round three of this project, and I think you (+ Amy + Brittany) do an incredible job ❤
Pen Pals & Encouragement are such a great thing! I love that you are organizing & orchestrating this and I hope to participate! There are no better people than book people!
Sounds like fun, shame i don’t “know” the hosts…